“I just know an interruption is around that corner…”
So here’s the deal…I have self-diagnosed my problem: Scattered brain.
I’ll stop at self-diagnosis.
Self-medication could get really ugly and involve empty bags of kettle corn strewn throughout the house.
Today, I’m going with 15-minute work segments.
I opened a new tab in Google Chrome and in the web address box [called the Omnibox, by the way…please bear with my occasional geekness.]
I typed ‘set timer to 15 minutes’ and sure enough a clock started counting down. [Been using that for months, but wanted to share that with you.]
So this blog post is my first work segment.
What other ones have I planned for?
- Explore a self-publishing resource I signed up for.
- Mindmap to flesh out new book ideas.
- Type!! I have tons of content in my notebooks and I feel the need to digitize them. I believe in a previous post I shared a photo of a pile of notebooks that have collected dust over the last year. In there lies a trove [not ready to call it a treasure trove] of ideas that need revisiting.
- Publish my Writing Warmups book to Kindle.
- Stand over the slow bathroom sink drain and ponder what could go wrong if I dive into that project myself.
Challenges to my experiment?
— My pup who is coming off emergency surgery and needs my vigilant eye to ensure he doesn’t undo the post-op stitchery. He is currently in deep REM state and whimper-barking at some dream-state rodent interloper.
— Need for a nap. Been sleeping on the couch for the last ten days to continue the dog-watch…and tending to his 1:00 AM, 3:00 AM, 5:00 AM backyard visits. [Medications mess up his usual sleep through the night routine.]
— The infernal need to check email.
Update: I have two minutes left in this blog post…You can only hope I’ll pare this down, right?
Back to the to-do list…
- Most likely revisit the above items for additional quarter-hour stints.
- Morning pages.
- Reading from Show Your Work, Making Ideas Happen, Unthink, The Report Card, and Using WordPress.
- Check in with flippedlifestyle.com.
- Add a blog post to ednotions.wordpress.com .
Okay, the timer went off and I did some polishing of this. Time to publish and move on to morning pages. Though, of course, there’s the dog…
Will let my thousands [dozens?] [pair?] of readers know how this worked out.
I’m 15 minutes past the 15-minute goal. I’ll take this as a good sign…that I can extend my attention span a little further when I need to. [image from blogpiks.com]
For the time being, I prefer to not interpret it as inserting distraction into my workday. ;-]