Let’s boil it down:
- Read over your material in a word processing document. [‘Document 1’] Color-code your sentences–green for ‘okay with me’, yellow for ‘needs some work’, red for ‘needs complete overhaul’. [Note: Use your own file-naming strategies.]
- Save ‘Document 1’, without any further tinkering.
- Create a copy of ‘Document 1’ [‘File’, ‘Save as…’], complete with the colored highlights. Name it ‘Document 2’.
- Edit Document 2, recoloring your sentences green when satisfied with the work they’re doing.
- Proofread your work [aloud is always a good idea] with the following question as your beacon:
“Do these words clearly communicate my true intent
and give my audience a cohesive presentation?”
There you go! You can now send your work on to the Pulitzer Prize committee.
Suggestion: Schedule a 15-minute visit to Copyblogger.You’re sure to leave with useful, shareable content.
Visitors: Share other writing website suggestions.